Table of Contents
CAE Reading Part 7
Would you like to learn the best strategy to use to pass CAE Reading Part 7? Don’t worry, you’ve come to the right place 😉
I will show you what part 7 looks like, how to use a strategy which has been successful for hundreds of students before you and you will even get to practise using this strategy with real exam sample papers.
CAE Reading Part 7 – Format
Part 7 of the Reading and Use of English paper involves a text with 6 missing paragraphs. You are then given 7 paragraphs and you need to choose where 6 of them go in the passage. Identifying determiners and pronouns such as ‘his/hers/their/these/that’ will help you complete this part of the paper.
The photo below is what the task looks like. It has been taken from the C1 Advanced Handbook for teachers:
CAE Reading Part 7 – Technique
1. As usual, skim the passage so you know the main theme. Some students ask me ‘why should we do this?’ My response is that spending 30 seconds to do this helps keep you in an important rhythm and mentality for the exam task. I will talk more about pre exam routines later in the book. It also helps you find the correct answers in ways you might not realise.
2. Read the 7 paragraphs (a-g) below the passage. Write a couple of words which capture the essence of each paragraph.
3. Read the whole passage. Reading the first and final sentence of each paragraph will probably not give you all the information you need to decide the correct answer. When practising before the exam, if you realise you don’t have enough time to read the whole passage, make sure you at least read a few sentences before and after each gap.
4. Write the letter of the paragraph next to each question number where you think it is applicable.
5. You may write one paragraph letter next to more than one question number. For example, you might write letters ‘B’ and ‘C’ next to question 42 and you might also write ‘B’ next to question 43. If you haven’t written ‘B’ or ‘C’ next to any other number, choose ‘B’ for 43 and ‘C’ for 42.
I recommend using the technique above to complete more CAE practice resources. Revising the techniques and practising them over and over is the best way to prepare for the exam. Practice practice practice! Let’s revise the format and technique again by watching the ‘How to pass C1 Advanced CAE Reading Part 7’ video below. The video summarises the technique above in fewer steps. Although it is perhaps slightly less thorough, I still recommend watching it till because there are also tasks to complete and a homework exercise. Remember to time yourself and write down your marks to see if your score improves.
Okay, enough of the chit chat 😉
Watch this video and complete the exercises with me:
CAE Reading Part 7 – Practice
Try to put 6 of the 7 paragraphs above into the passage below:
Have you done that?
Then you can check your answers…
CAE Reading Part 7 – Revision
Let’s revise the C1 Advanced Reading and Use of English part 7 format and technique while practising some CAE Reading and Use of English part 3 exercises at the same time…
If you like, you can write down the dictation from the video below on this dictation worksheet >>
Sorry, the video below is available for Gold members only. Register here to watch now >>