C1 Advanced Exercises
Hello there, are you ready to do some C1 Advanced exercises?
This page will be good:
1. If you are a student
2. If you are a teacher…because you can get your students to complete the exercises below for homework or in class.
If you don’t have a computer, go to this page.
Follow the instructions below for computers:
- Join my new website for more exercises and more essays.
- Read this essay question and then, in no more than 5 minutes, write a plan for it here.
- Record any mistakes you find on this example answer.
- Fill in this assessment scale for the answer above.
- Are the mistakes you found the same as the ones I found here?
- Is your assessment scale similar to the examiner’s notes?
- Watch this video, record any useful information on this form and keep adding information in the future. You can add and edit the form in the email when you complete it.
Here’s a really useful exercise to help you with CAE proposals:
- Read this proposal question and write your own plan for it here.
- Download this example proposal and correct any mistakes you find.
- Fill in this assessment scale for the example proposal.
- Are your mistakes the same as the ones I found here?
- Is your assessment similar to the examiner’s?
- Watch this video and update this form with notes in the future. You will receive a copy via email.
If you are a teacher and you would like to print off worksheets for your students, read these instructions.
You can complete the instructions below yourself or set them as tasks for your students to complete. If you would like to print worksheets for your students, read these hard copy instructions:
- Read this report question then time yourself and write a plan for it here for 5 minutes.
- Find the mistakes in this report.
- Complete an assessment scale template for the report.
- Check if you found the same mistakes that I did here.
- Check if your assessment scale is similar to mine here.
- Watch this video and keep adding useful notes to this form. You get a copy of the form sent to your email address for safe keeping 🙂
If you prefer to use hard copies, these instructions will be better for you. But below are some tasks for you or your students to complete on computer:
- Watch this video and read this review advice and add the most important points to this worksheet.
- Read this exam question then write a plan for it here in no more than 5 minutes.
- Print, find and correct any mistakes you find in this review.
- Fill in an assessment scale template for the review.
- I found some mistakes here, did you find the same ones?
- Is your assessment scale similar to my assessment.
If you want to give handouts to your students, use these instructions.
Here are instructions that you can follow on computer:
- Watch this video and write the most important points on this sheet.
- Read this sample email question and answer, then complete this plan template in no more than 5 minutes.
- Correct any mistakes you find in this email answer.
- Complete this assessment scale template for the email.
- These are the mistakes I found.
- This is my assessment of the email.
The instructions below are for online classes. If you want to print off worksheets for your students, use these instructions.
Instructions to follow on computer:
Use of English Part 1 Exercises
I made a Part 1 dictation style video recently, check it out here:
Do you know why dictation is such a good way to learn a language? If not watch this video.
Exercise 1 – Explanations & Answers
Use of English Part 2 Exercises
Here is a dictation with a built in Use of English part 2 task. The topic of the dictation is how to successfully pass CAE Speaking part 1, so we’re killing 2 birds with 1 stone here 😉
CAE Speaking Tip: “Killing 2 birds with 1 stone” is an informal phrase which means to achieve 2 things with only 1 action. It is the sort of phrase you could use in the speaking paper.
Exercise 1 – Explanations & Answers
Let’s have a look at why those answers are correct.