CAE Use of English Part 4
The C1 Advanced (CAE) Use of English part 4 is one part of the exam which students particularly struggle with.
Part 4 of the Use of English paper requires you to write from 3 to 6 words in order to appropriately complete a sentence. You read an example sentence. You are then given a sentence with some information missing and one word which you need to use. Use the word given with your own words to complete the missing information. At the end, your completed sentence should have the same meaning as the example sentence. The word they give you should help you decide which other words you need to write. There are 6 of these sentences to complete in part 4.
Here are a few different techniques that you can try for part 4 of the Use of English paper. The third technique is what I think is the perfect method for tackling these tricky questions.
CAE Use of English Part 4 – The Perfect Technique
The video above showed you 3 different methods for passing part 4 of the Use of English paper. I will summarise the third technique for you now:
1. REVISE COLLOCATIONS, EXPRESSIONS AND PHRASAL VERBS BEFORE THE EXAM.
2. READ BOTH SENTENCES.
3. CROSS OUT DUPLICATE INFORMATION.
4. IDENTIFY WHAT TYPE OF WORD THEY GIVE YOU.
5. IS THIS WORD USED IN ANY COMMON COLLOCATIONS/EXPRESSIONS/PHRASAL VERBS?
6. CAN YOU USE THE REMAINING INFORMATION TO COMPLETE THE GAP?
7. IF YOU’RE STRUGGLING, ASK YOURSELF A QUESTION USING THE INFORMATION YOU HAVE.
8. CAN YOU CROSS OUT THE REMAINING INFORMATION?
9. IS THE OVERALL MEANING CORRECT?
CAE Use of English Part 4 Practice
Let’s practise using the perfect method with some example questions…
1. The books did NOT COST AS MUCH AS I had expected.
2. My sister always DID HER HOMEWORK BEFORE WATCHING television.
3. We seem to HAVE RUN OUT OF bread.
If you know some other really good resources for this part of the exam, please write a comment below or if you are a paid member of this site, you can write a comment in our Facebook group. Let’s help each other pass the CAE exam with flying colours!
227 more Key Word Transformation Questions: Sorry, these 227 questions and answers are restricted for higher-level members only.